Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Only Thing that Matters

What if nothing mattered but God?  That's the attitude of the Servant in Isaiah 49:4, a prophetic passage about the coming Messiah.  He says:

I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing.  Yet what is due me is in the LORD's hand, and my reward is with my God.

I want some rewards now.  If I work hard at any task, I want to see some payoff.  When I do yard work, I want to see green grass.  When I plan an event, I want it to run smoothly.  When I pour my heart out in a sermon, I want to see God working.

The Servant was willing to pour out his life and completely trust God to take care of his reward.  It didn't matter if he saw results here and now. 

That is a life lived with abandon to God.  It is a life of freedom, and even joy.  It's joy that comes from beyond this world.  That's the kind of life I want.