Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Diet issues: Is it just me...?

I have been more intentional with my exercise and diet lately.  It's almost like I can't get away from it.  Friends and family have been getting in shape, and I'm right there with them.

Right now I'm training for the Belews Lake Triathlon on September 14.  This will be my third shot at the event, and I plan to keep improving my time.

But I digress.  When it comes to food these days, I'm having a hard time.  I stare in the pantry and in the fridge, and I can't find anything I want to eat.  My old standbys, chicken noodle soup and ravioli, are now taboo.  They are processed food, and are therefore evil. 

The good news is that bacon is back on my menu.  I gave up bacon a few years ago, and now I understand that it is super-healthy.  Oh yes!  Well, maybe not "super" healthy, but at least it won't kill me before sundown.  It is part of a healthy diet.

Now, I'm not yet giving up my breads, but I am slightly more selective about eating refined sugar.  I'm really enjoying the fresh fruits and veggies.

Yes, you can overcook a hotdog.

But the real problem surfaces in the grocery store.  I walk through thinking that I can buy whatever I want to take home and eat.  My thoughts go like this:  Not that, not that, too expensive, too much work, we just ate that, too processed.  Partly, I think that more exercise actually makes me less hungry, strange as that may be.

Here's why the problem keeps coming up.  With my wife traveling for work more this summer, the kids and I are in charge of meals.  So mealtime starts to look like a chore.  Repeatedly, every day, I have to figure out what to eat.  Is it just me?  Well, my kids are feeling the same way.  Maybe they just don't want to eat my cooking.

Now I need to repent for complaining about food when God has blessed us with plenty.  Maybe I should pray over my menu...