Monday, November 26, 2007

My Favorite Toys

I love to play with words. I like to think of strange words combinations, explore etymologies, make puns and find inconsistencies in the English language.

Have you ever noticed the many words we find only in a negative form? A comment may be inane, but has anyone ever praised you for being ane? Workers get disgruntled, but never seem to get gruntled. A tie or a suit may be nondescript, but would you want to wear something descript?

One of my favorite oddities is that you drive on a parkway but park on a driveway. Although you can slow up and slow down, you can speed up, but you never speed down.

Names also provide a playground for fun and creativity. Consider Emma Tate is known by all her friends as a copycat. How about the guy named Ben Moore who has lost weight?

The list of rules at the skating rink in Eden, NC used to say, “No horseplay aloud.” Just do it quietly.

I’m eager to see a model of efficiency called a “wait loss” program.

God has blessed us with words, the gift of language. He reveals himself to us through his written word, and the Word who took on flesh and dwelt among us.

I love playing with words. As long as I have my wits, no one can take away my toys.