Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ten Years

On Feb. 13, 2000 Crossroads held its first ever public worship celebration.  We rented the Stokesdale School cafeteria, imported some singers, and invited a Sunday school class from Eden to come boost our numbers.  We had done plenty of praying and advertising, and trusted God to show up. 

In the weeks before, we had had about 16" of snow.  Seems like we had four good snows that Jan.  I was loving it, when it dawned on me that weather could put a damper on our Feb. 13 launch.  Suddenly I began praying for God to rein in the weather.  He did.

It was a cool, damp day, but nothing frozen.  We had greeters with umbrellas to help people get inside.  Our children's Sunday school was held in a wide hallway, down from the cafeteria.  We did not have access to any classrooms.

I was nervous, of course, as I preached on "Getting the Love You Want."  Lisa and I sang with the guest vocalists, and we were accompanied by performance tracks.  It was a lot of fun, actually. 

Now we've been at it for ten years, and we've met in ten different locations.  Soon we will move to Connection Point, a building we are up fitting for worship and ministry. 

A lot has happened in the last ten years.  These have been the best years of my life, and I have seen God at work the whole time!