Sunday, January 6, 2019

The Gift of Losing

Thanks, Panthers. I have more discretionary time and emotional bandwidth this January than I might have had. It turns out that I don't really care about any of the teams left in the NFL playoffs. I can catch up on reading and watching Netflix.

I'm actually thinking more carefully about how much of my life I pour into watching sports. It can be entertaining, and it's always fun to talk with folks about the big games. But as I think about the big scheme of life, I realize that sports needs to be like any other form of entertainment. It's just a fun diversion.

And, thanks to all the losing teams, I can casually watch some football, here and there, without really caring about who wins.

By the way, I can't believe that Chicago just binked another field goal off the upright.