Friday, January 19, 2024

Where's the snow?

I wish it would snow here. I saw about 10 snowflakes last night, after noticing the weather app indicated flurries. What? After staring under the backyard floodlight, I finally saw some flakes. Meanwhile, the rest of the country seems to be buried in snow.

Stokesdale is part of the Piedmont Triad, just southeast of the mountains and foothills. This location has some great weather advantages. The Appalachian Mountains seem to shield us from harsh conditions.

The past few years have brought extreme weather to so much of North America--floods, heatwaves, tornadoes, blizzards, hurricanes. I have noticed destructive weather all around this area, while we have it comparatively easy.

I am most grateful that weather has not wreaked havoc for us. I'm not complaining.

But I do wish we could see a good, recreational snow, say, 6 inches. I would like to sled and build a snowman, hike on a pristine white blanket, and see the tracks where wildlife has gone before me. 

Yes, I'm even willing to shovel my driveway. Maybe yours too, if you live close by.