Monday, March 11, 2024

Change your mind

About something. Change your mind. You "know" some things that are not true. 

So do I. 

So change your mind. I don't know where you are wrong, but I know it's somewhere. I am (cautiously) on the lookout for places where I'm wrong. I do not hold the same opinions at 61 that I held 31. I have learned. And I'm learning.

Just knowing that I have some wrong opinions helps me hold my opinions more loosely. When I encounter people who see the world differently from me, I remind myself that their experiences are far different from mine. I might (probably would) share their opinions if I had walked in their shoes.

Being willing to see things from another perspective softens my heart. It helps me not be so dogmatic or judgmental. I do agree that there are absolute truths. I think I have found some of them. But I try to give myself the freedom to rethink, to take into account new information, to consider another point of view. Even about those absolutes, I want to hold those perspectives graciously.

And that's the most important thing about dialing back the dogmatism: It allows for kindness. Even when we disagree, we can be kind. Maybe even when we are angry we can be kind.

So today I encourage you: Change your mind. About something. Maybe something small, like "People who drive Chevrolets are idiots." Just start changing your mind. It might open up a whole new world.

And yeah, this is my Chevy and my rooster.