Sunday, March 10, 2024

Oscar tone

I have been cynical about the Oscars. A bunch of self-important people live out a popularity contest while the little people fawn all over them. At least that's how it has so often seemed to me. And obviously I have not gone out of my way to see every Oscar moment every year.

But this year's Academy Awards show has a different vibe to it. OK, it's only an hour into the show, but the attitudes of the actors has been so refreshing. They seem to be more humble, more interested in other people. They just seem more sincere to me.

I did watch the red carpet segment before the show, where they interview the stars, and that's where I first noticed a hint of humility. Maybe a hint is all they can risk, but I still find it refreshing.

There is still more time for pride and vanity, but thanks, Hollywood, for reminding us that you are real people.