Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Happy Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of the season of Lent.  It marks 40 days before Easter, if you don't count the Sundays.  During this time, Christians in liturgical traditions often set aside certain practices, so that they can focus on their relationships with God.

As I read the writings of
Richard Rohr, I find that he often mentions his hermitages during the Lenten season.  I'm gathering that this is an annual practice for him, a time of withdrawal from ordinary life to focus on the Lord.  I don't really know what a hermitage is, so I'm inferring from context what it must mean.  A hermit is someone who lives alone, with little contact with others.  A hermitage must be a season in which one lives like a hermit, for the purpose of extended time in prayer and reflection.

I don't plan to be a hermit for 40 days, but I do want to make the Lenten season special.  I just read a link on Facebook that suggested writing a note to someone--an actual pen and paper note--every day during the season.  I like that idea.

I may also bring greater focus to my prayer for others, and my listening to the voice of God.  I've got the rest of the day to decide exactly what I will do during the season.  I certainly want to connect with Jesus.