Tuesday, February 24, 2015

One more thing

So often after I preach a sermon, I realize that I left something out. 

Last Sunday I preached from Acts 12:7-12.  In this story, Paul preaches to a group of Christians on a Sunday night.  They have gathered in a building in Troas, in a third story room.  As Paul preaches on toward midnight, a young man named Eutychus is sitting in an open window.  The young fellow drifts off to sleep, slips out of the window and falls to his death on the street below. 

Paul stops speaking and rushes down to the street, throws himself on the dead man, and announces that he's alive.  Amazing news!

Now, here's what I left out.  The name Eutychus means "Fortunate."  One wonders if that was his name all along, or maybe he got that nickname on his resurrection day.

Either way, the name fits.