Thursday, February 12, 2015

How to Pray

I am wrestling with intercessory prayer.  I'm praying for someone who needs guidance and direction.  But I don't know what to pray. 

I could write the script, and ask God to make it happen. 
I could just glibly say, "God work it out." 
I could merely repeat the request for wisdom ad infinitum
I could pray for direction as I make things work out.

Somehow, however, none of these perspectives on prayer seems right.  I am stuck merely asking God what to pray for.  How do I pray?  What do I say?  Is prayer merely saying the right things.  Isn't prayer more than mere words?

So this situation brings me to my knees, on behalf of another.  I ask for clarity on how to pray.  I ask for his intervention, not knowing exactly what that intervention should be.

And I try to listen.  That's so hard. 

Lord, open my soul to have your heart for this person, for this situation.  Your kingdom come.  Your will be done.