Monday, December 28, 2009

Fantasy flop

Tonight is the "Super Bowl" for our Fantasy Football league.  We'll have a few friends over to watch the game together, even though my team has long been out of the picture.  This was my first time with the program, and I pretty much ignored it through the season.  Too busy, yadda, yadda, yadda...

My team started off the season with a huge victory, but pretty much went down hill from there.  I finished with a 3-11 record, just grateful for any victories.  It seems like my efforts to set my lineup and follow the players did not make a whole lot of difference.  When I worked hard on it, I still lost.  My victories came in spite of my inattention.

It makes me think about the parable of the growing seed, found (only) in Mark 4:26.  Jesus tells us that the farmer plants his seed and leaves it alone.  Whether he eats or sleeps, the seed grows, regardless of the efforts of the farmer.  The kingdom of God is like that, Jesus says.  When we share the good news of the kingdom, God makes that seed grow, regardless of our efforts.or lack thereof.  In other words, Jesus is growing his kingdom, even when we can't see it and don't work for it.

I'm glad that the results of the kingdom are so much better than my Fantasy Football season.  Next year I'll work more on my team, and plant more kingdom seeds for Jesus to grow.