Monday, February 25, 2008

Harmony in the Spirit

Yesterday I was driving to a ministry situation, praying for God to use me to share his love. I had already been praying for the need there, and was continuing to ask God to do a supernatural work. Driving along, I was listening to some worship music.

It was a familiar CD, and I know the tunes very well. But somehow I had not quite caught all the lyrics. It was an interesting experience as I could feel the music and let the Holy Spirit speak to me in the moment. He could guide my thinking through the lyrics, but my heart was in tune with him as with the tune of the music.

This seems to me what prayer is. As we mature, we know God more and more intimately, and our hearts are in tune with him. As we spend time in the Lord’s presence, we are connected with him in spirit. It’s like knowing the tune, as we enjoy fellowship together.

But then, in the context of sharing the “tune” through prayer, Jesus can reveal himself to me in a new way. He can guide me to new thoughts. He can speak to my soul. He can call my mind to his Word. He can reveal the truth of the situation.

I long to have more prayer times when I sense that kind of intimacy. And I want to extend those times throughout the day. It will be such a blessing to be able to live that way, moment by moment. I want to sing the song of the Spirit in my heart all day. Then he can show me constantly how he is working and how he can use me. That’s the worship of living. That’s abundant life.