Saturday, August 22, 2009

Power of a blog

I saw "Julie and Julia" this afternoon. It was a cool movie. Amy Adams is an amazing actress, and of course Meryl Streep is too. It was fun to see Julia Child again. It brings back lots of childhood memories. I don't think I ever sat down to watch her cook, but my mother must have. She was just entertaining to watch -- Julia Child, I mean.

The Julie in the movie decides to cook every recipe in Julia Child's book in one year. And she decides to blog about it. Her blog was so engaging that she got lots of followers. People sent her fan mail and really got into her journey.

I think that blogs are powerful because ordinary people have interesting experiences and profound insights. As we connect with people whose thoughts inspire us, our own thoughts take off.

Sometimes I think that only profound things are worth blogging about. But I live my life in the ordinary things. Occasionally I have profound thoughts, too. But I don't get them on the blog as often as I would like. It just takes discipline to share.

Now, I do journal regularly. I probably have four or five entries every week. It serves as a great record of my life. I just need to go back and read those dozens of volumes. Blogging is sometimes more convenient, because I can type much faster than I can write longhand.

But who really cares about my rambling thoughts? I mean, I don't even read my OWN journals. For me, writing is therapeutic. I process my thoughts with words.

Well, sharing the ordinary things in life can connect us, so that the profound things really hit home. God is using technology to connect his people of passion, who really want to see the kingdom of God come. I want to be part of this movement. I need to go read some blogs.