Monday, February 22, 2010

Bold

Reading Exodus 33 today, I noticed again what Moses asked of God.  At this point, the Israelites have rebelled by making the golden calf.  God is so disgusted that he threatens not to accompany his people on the journey to the Promised Land.  Moses pushes back, and asks that God reconsider. 

In v. 17 God says, "I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am plesed with you and I know you by name."

Now, if I were Moses, at this point I would say, Cool, glad we reached this understanding.

But Moses says, "Now show me your glory."

Moses knows there is a whole lot more to God than meets the eye.  He has seen God reveal himself in a burning bush, ten plagues, a pillar of fire and cloud, a parted sea and water from a rock.  Even with all these spectacular revelations, Moses knows that God has more to reveal.

He dares to ask God to show his glory.  I like Moses' boldness.  I need that same kind of boldness.  As God does miraculous things for us at Crossroads, I need to ask him for more. 

Show me your glory, O Lord.