Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Random Thoughts, nearing Age 50

I’m soon to turn 50 years old, and the hour glass suggests that I may have gathered some wisdom.  These are some lessons that I wish I had learned a whole lot earlier.  I could have saved myself a lot of grief.

Don’t take yourself too seriously.  Lighten up and laugh at yourself.  Most things are not such a big deal.

A thankful heart is a happy heart.  – Madam Blueberry

Assume that other people like you, whether friend or stranger.  Assuming they don’t like you makes you defensive.  Wondering if they like you keeps you probing and focused on yourself.  Besides, if they really don’t like you, that’s their problem—usually.  If you assume that people like you, then you become more likable.

Confidence comes from preparation, says John Maxwell.  The best way to become more confident is to become more prepared.

Everything seems worse in the middle of the night.  I can’t tell you how many times I have worried about something in a restless night, then in the morning wondered, “How could that have bothered me so much?”

When I am worried, it helps me to remind myself that I don’t want to live that way.  I have spent far too much time being torqued out over big things and small things.  Looking back, I realize that I have missed out on the joy of too many occasions.  I don’t want to live that way.  I want to experience the joy every day.

Sabbath is not a luxury.  Life goes much better when I take time to do nothing.  Stillness gives me emotional space, increases my joy, and makes me do a better job at whatever I do.  Even Jesus observed the Sabbath every week.  I gain energy not only from the time of rest, but also from anticipating the time of rest.

I understand now why grownups so often asked me to read small print for them when I was a youth.  It may be annoying to the kid, but it’s even more annoying to the grownup.  And for the presbyopic, digital watches are impossible to reprogram.  The readout shows a constellation of blobs around the digits.  These blobs represent functions and alerts, but I never know what they are.  Even the directions require a magnifying glass to read, and it’s not worth the effort.

I can control my attitude.  It can be done.  It takes work.  I have an enemy who wants to turn me negative all the time.  I let him win far too much.  I have an Advocate who put him in his place.  What I put into my mind makes a big difference.

 Technology is great, except when it isn’t.

It’s not easy to be yourself.  I’ve spent most of my life trying to figure that out.  But life is much more fun when I’m being myself.

 You are never too old to have fun.  Some things need to be done, just because they are fun, and for no other reason.  I think that puts a smile on God’s face.

I have always wanted to write an article of random thoughts.  Now I have, and I did it before turning 50.