Saturday, February 13, 2016

In the Beginning

Stokesdale Elementary School Cafeteria
It was 16 years ago today that Crossroads Community Church held its first public worship service.  For months we laid the ground work, doing door-to-door surveys, hosting events at my house, and looking for meeting space.  We found guest vocalists to bring some sound equipment and sing along with our music leaders for our launch.  For weeks we had promoted the event with posters, fliers, doorknob hangers, ads in the Northwest Observer, and an insert in the Greensboro News & Record.  We rented the Stokesdale Elementary School cafeteria, and prayed for good weather.

Earlier in 2000, there were several good snows.  I love snow, and had a blast playing with my family.  But then I realized that snow could really shipwreck our launch service.  Suddenly I began praying for milder weather.  On February 13, 2000 it was misty and foggy, but above freezing.  And I was a nervous wreck. 

We had volunteers setting up tables, greeting worshippers, serving snacks, and working the children's ministry.  A Sunday School class from Osborne Baptist Church in Eden provided support by showing up to worship.  My dad took pictures with a film camera.  I preached on "Getting the Love You Want," a nod to Valentine's Day.

I had no idea what I was doing, but believed God could make kingdom work happen in Stokesdale.  He has done that.  He has gathered a unique, talented, passionate, innovative, caring, risk-taking community at Crossroads.  And the ride has just begun.

On February 21, 2016 we will host the Crossroads Sweet Sixteen Celebration, recalling God's blessings and responding to his call.  Join us at 10 a.m. as we worship and give the glory to God!