Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Destiny

I heard a saying a couple of weeks ago which has really stuck with me.

“You were destined to achieve what you were designed to love.”

God has designed us all with various preferences, passions, and abilities. He has designed us all differently, and we love different kinds of things, from activities to foods to employment.

God has placed within our hearts certain desires which, when fulfilled, will build his kingdom and bring us joy. Paul told the Ephesians that “we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God has prepared in advance for us to do.” We are destined, through his work in us, to achieve those very things which will bring joy to our hearts.

Only God can work these things together. We are made to love certain things. We are destined to achieve these things. He has prepared them in advance so that we can do them.

This gives me some assurance that in pursuing kingdom work, I am fulfilling God’s destiny for me. I am learning that he builds great love for the work he has shaped me to do.

Since he has prepared these things in advance, I can trust him to bring them about. Right now, it is hard for me to see the plan he has worked out in advance. I need to listen. I need to watch. I need to pray. He will bring it all about in his timing. I also need to step forward in faith, following his lead. Wherever he leads, he will provide all that we need.

OK, God. Here I go.