Monday, January 11, 2010

"Tickler File"

It's a funny name for a filing system, but it shows some potential.  In GTD, I learned about this system that lets me plan to address a certain item on a certain day in the future.  If I don't want to (or can't) work on something today, I can put it in a folder up to 30 days out.  It will automatically remind me to work on that item on that day.

This is all done with good old manila folders -- very low-tech, but very understandable.  I don't want to explain it in detail (like you would want to read that here anyway...), but I do plan on creating such a system.  I still haven't finished the book, but I'm about 3/4 through it.  I want to wait until I read the whole thing before I go whole hog.

I mentioned the tickler file system to Lisa, and she said, "Yeah, I already do that."  Well thanks for sharing the brilliant idea.  No wonder she's so organized.  But I'm WAY ahead of her in reading the book.  Heh, heh.

I'm also using my label maker on my file folders.  It is fun, and I can tell a big difference in my filing cabinet already.  I'm filing stuff now, instead of stacking it all up to deal with later.

I'm still on board with Getting Things Done.