Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I Don't Like This Word

I have never cared for the word "sanctification."  It sounds stuffy, holier-than-thou, and downright difficult.  Maybe, years ago, I heard some stuffy, pompous people talking about sanctification.  I don't remember.

Of course the word itself refers to the process of becoming more holy.  Why would that bother me?  Maybe it's my desire to make myself look more holy than I really am.  If I pursue sanctification, then I  have to prove to others how holy I am.  I'm just not good at that.  When I try to be holy, I fall short, so I have to fake it.

To avoid faking it, I just don't talk about sanctification.

Becoming more holy takes a lot of work.  I have to put myself in the position that God can pour his Spirit into me.  But when I practice spiritual disciplines, God does the work of making me more holy.  It flows naturally, or supernaturally, in my life.

I'm reading Dallas Willard's The Spirit of the Disciplines, and it's blowing my mind.  It's making me hungry for real spirituality, hungry for Jesus, hungry for living the real life that Jesus promises.

I might actually want to be sanctified.