Saturday, February 1, 2014

Lessons from Sabbatical

Crossroads graciously has granted me a sabbatical for the first two months of 2014.  In my 25 years as a pastor, I've never had such a break from the weekly routine of ministry.  This has been quite a blessing for me.  I've had extended time with the Lord, and I have visited other churches.
Here are a few random lessons I have learned from my experience.
  • It is hard to unplug.
  • Ministry goes on without me.
  • God likes for me to smile.
  • There is still not enough time for me to do what I want to do.
  • Life is better when I am rested.
  • I'm barely scratching the surface of life with Jesus.
  • The Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) say very little about church.
  • I constantly feel like I should be doing something.
  • Sunday mornings are disconcerting for me when I'm out of my routine.
  • I love my church.  I really miss seeing people.
  • Prayer is harder than I thought.
  • My family is great.  I like them.
  • There is a lot of restless among the people of God.
  • We want him to do something radical and new.