Monday, March 21, 2016

Making Hay

I had planned to do some wood working on Saturday, but it was cold and rainy.  I have to set up my tools in the driveway, so rainy days are not ideal.  It was a good day to stay inside, read, and write. 

Our youth group had planned to go skiing last weekend, but there was not much snow on the mountains.  They went to the beach instead.

To get the most done, it helps to cooperate with the weather. 

While weather can be unpredictable, we can have some reasonable expectations:  cooler/cold in the winter, warmer/hot in the summer; warmer in the day and cooler at night.  Precipitation can happen any time of the year in NC.  We learn to work around the weather and do those activities that suit the weather.

Now, my moods can be like weather.  They are somewhat predictable:  more energy early in the day, better creativity when I'm not rushed, deeper thinking when away from distractions.  Unlike the weather, I can control my moods.  Being well rested always helps my mood.  When I need to use my brain-power, I need to avoid being rushed and distracted.  When I need to be out in public I want to be tuned in for interaction with others.

Here's my point:  it helps me to work with my natural mental/emotional rhythms.  When I have some flexible time, I need to work with the weather in my brain.  I need to make hay while the sun is shining.  I can allow the Spirit to use me more effectively when I surrender to his lead and sail with the wind.  Obviously much of anyone's work needs to be done whether or not you're in the mood.  But having work options available for various kinds of mental weather can boost effectiveness. 

Mindless paperwork should not be done during your mental prime.  Deep thinking should not be done in the post-lunch slump. 

Yeah, I know this is nothing new, but it recently occurred to me that our moods are like the weather.  It helps if you work with what you've got.

No comments: