Saturday, February 17, 2024

Confessing Lent

I went to an Ash Wednesday service this week, and the pastor appropriately noted that Lent is a time for fasting, for giving up something. This year I had not really identified anything to give up. I've been through Lent seasons many times without intentionally living any self-denial. I kind of thought this year would be like that.

Then I started blogging about confession. I realized that I'm not good at confessing. I don't especially like it, but then, who does? I see that I can deny myself through growing in the habit of confession.

So, here's my idea. I want to confess something every day during Lent. I plan to confess to someone I trust. And it won't always be a sin that I confess. Most often I expect to confess something about my feelings.

I have never been good about recognizing or expressing my feelings. So this is an exercise in seeing myself more from God's perspective, admitting that my human experience is more than just my thoughts.

I think it might work. I'm not sure how I will feel about it.