Friday, February 9, 2024

Jesus and touchdowns

With the Super Bowl only a few days away, I have heard a lot about Christian football players. I'm glad that these men acknowledge their faith, and I'm glad that the media allow them to speak up.

But somehow it seems that Christian news outlets are using these stories a little too much. I'm actually trying to put my finger on my objections. 

It's like they are saying, "Hey, famous football stars believe in Jesus. You should too!" And I guess that's not terrible either, but is that all we've got? Men who are not ashamed of their faith who excel at a game...

I feel like there should be much more compelling stories of God's kingdom out there. Maybe miracles of healing, or addictions being broken, or justice restored. We should be making Jesus famous by transformed lives and poverty eliminated and relationships restored and cities revived. 

If we can't show the power of God through supernatural transformation, at least we can cheer for touchdowns and those who make them.