Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Tech No

I remember as a teenager watching my parents who were unable to keep up with the latest trends. They were so lame. Now it's my turn. 

I just want to share some of my attitudes and experiences with technology. I got my first computer in 1987, and I was so excited. It was so amazing to write my grad school papers on a word processor. Printing was tricky, but it was so much better than a typewriter.

Now I have apps on my phone for important things like Chic-fil-A. I have thousands of points. I also have some social media apps. I check Facebook about every day. I have never really gotten into Instagram. I have an account, but, well, it just doesn't hook me. 

When I'm scrolling on social media, I feel like I'm holding my breath. This is something that I can only do for so long. It feels like a guilty pleasure without a whole lot of pleasure.

I had a Twitter account, which of course has become X. Here again, I have never been hooked. Usually it feels like a waste of time. I hear podcasters talk about engaging and enraging people on X. I find it easy to shut it down.

Now, I do love me some podcasts. I think this might be the best use of the smart phone ever. Except maybe taking pictures of my grandson.

I Snap Chat with only three people, my wife and two daughters. That can be fun.

I have never downloaded Tiktok. I think it's just something else to figure out, and it seems mostly like teenagers giggling. Plus, I don't trust those Chinese people with my data.

Yeah, I'm out of touch, maybe. But I do love to dig in the dirt. There's no app for that.