Friday, January 5, 2024

Digging my algorithm

I'm digging my algorithm, but I'm a little unsettled about that. 

I don't spend too much time scrolling through my Facebook feed. But when I do, I find some interesting stuff. Here's what "they" have figured out about me.

I like seeing creative gadgets. Creative, time saving inventions keep showing up. I never buy them, but they are fun to see. I had never even heard of a digital sundial until I saw it on my feed today.

I like woodworking, so I get Reels showing all kinds of wood projects. ("Oh, I could do that!")

I like astronomy and science things. So now Neil DeGrasse Tyson keeps showing up, telling me all manner weird empirical facts.

I like music and guitar stuff. So I learn about the 12-note musical scale and the relationships of pitch frequencies. So cool! I never knew all this...

Now I'm seeing amazing toys that would be perfect for my grandchildren.

But here's what bothers me.

  • How do they know all this about me?
  • They are working very hard to keep me scrolling through this endless feed. And I'm impressed at how they are triangulating on my interests.
  • "They" are probably just some AI. 
  • I don't want to be controlled by whoever "they" are.

All this makes me very suspicious of social media, and I hope I can keep it at arm's length.

On an unrelated note, please ignore that fact that you may have encountered this blog on social media.