Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Thirst and Hunger

People were intrigued by Jesus. He offered what people really wanted.

To the woman at the well (John 4), Jesus said:

Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.

Oh yeah, that's what she wanted. "Sir, give me this water so that I won't get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water!" 

After he fed the 5000, (John 6) a crowd followed Jesus to hear him say:

...For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.

The crowd was hungry. "Sir," they said, "from now on give us this bread."

Jesus provides what we are most hungry and thirsty for. He's speaking of something more satisfying than physical water and bread. He urges us all to come to him to find real life. And people really want it. I know I do.