Thursday, January 4, 2024

Love Above and Beyond

Some months ago I noticed a special encounter in the parking lot of LOT 2540 in Mayodan, a salvage ministry, providing food to the needy and fellowship to entire community.

As I drove through the parking lot, I saw two people hugging, and it caught my attention. One of the folks I know well, an older woman who serves faithfully in LOT's programs. The other was a middle-aged man whom I did not recognize. I wondered how they knew each other--church, LOT, family? Hugs are not uncommon among friends at LOT, but I was delighted to see such encouragement shared, especially between two folks who did not appear to have much in common.

I could not readily identify a reason for the joyful exchange.

That got me to thinking. There are some people that we are expected to love: family, close friends, work associates, etc. Teachers are expected to love students. Pastors are expected to love church members. Parents love children and children their parents.

There are certain people we are just expected to love. Of course. We take that for granted.

But when love extends beyond those expected relationships, it is worth noting. A cafeteria worker encourages a shy student. A store clerk gives extra assistance to a young mother with crying children. A mail deliverer puts a fragile package on the front porch. A tall shopper reaches the top shelf for another customer. A professional offers services at no charge to a struggling neighbor.

This is the spirit of love that Jesus calls his followers to share. We are to express God's love to others, especially those we are not expected to love. In fact, Jesus even says that we are to love our enemies. Now that's radical.

Share the love.